Monday, November 17, 2008

Why are some people afraid of Dialogue?

I don't know if my ripe age of 45 is the cause of this current frustration or the simple truth that I know I know more now than I did 20 years ago and that is it seems I never know enough! I found this music video of the music group Chicago singing a song entitled "Dialogue." The song (or at least the music video) is not-so-hot but the concept of listening to each other, respecting and giving legitimacy to another differing viewpoint is important - if not essential to healthy communication.

There appears to me to be almost an overriding fear that giving any level of credence to divergent thoughts somehow diminishes what people believe to be true and just. Today - this is a real struggle for me. Really!! Can you tell?

Your thoughts - please share abundantly!!!

Here is the video I referenced along with a much better Chicago number. I love that group!

2 comments:

Clarence said...

Well, the #1 reason is 'fear of change'. Most of us do not want to change and to be willing to dialogue would imply that we might be willing to change. We are, at least we think that we are, happy and content the way we are and any change from the status quo would be scary. The #2 reason is 'fear of rejection'. If I open my mouth and speak what I really think, no-one will listen or if they do, they will think I am looney. Thus we have a fear of dialogue, of really discussing the issues, with the idea of making a difference in how we live, work, and worship.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a family where disagreement with the reigning opinion might result in a smackdown. Though it isn't necessarily the case, maybe some of us fear gaining a reputation of being confrontive or "aginners".
Don't you also think there's sort of a fundamental fear that if I lean toward giving your differing opinion any credence at all, I may be taking steps toward some slippery slope that will cause me to question everything I've been comfortable believing in for say, 45 years? Great point to raise, Eric.