Monday, April 20, 2009

Thinking GREEN today








April 22nd is "Earth Day" and I was reminded of this by John - who is Mr. vegetarian, socially conscious in Louisiana no less and just a generally good guy. On Facebook he referenced the "Green Bible" and found this to be very helpful as I ponder these thoughts.



Our Teaching and Student Pastor, Tim Stary - is getting married in a couple of weeks and their wedding invitations were printed on wood. Yes, you read this correctly - wood. Now I am not for sure if this is a good "green" thing or bad "green" thing. The invitation looks very, very cool (from my perspective) but my pondering is about to give me a headache.



This morning when I arrived at the office I opted to water some of our flower beds here on the grounds of the church. Over the past several weeks many volunteers put in new beds that need some individual attention and I find the "watering" stuff to be very therapeutic. Now, does this make me "green" or wasteful? There is that headache thing going again.



I am working so hard at keeping healthy files on our computer. Now, as we are preparing to update our information systems is this being green or generating unnecessary electronic equipment that will one day clog up landfills and harm the environment.



I dropped off some keys at a local Toyota dealership this morning and as I drove into the dealership in my 2003 SUV that is paid for and still running in a good healthy manner I began to look at one of those "Prius" hybrid cars. Would it be best for me to turn in my paid-for-SUV and get one of these vehicles?



How do I get myself into something of this nature on a Monday? Here are some scripture passages from the "Green Bible." Enjoy!



"You shall not pollute the land in which you live... you shall not defile the land in which you live, in which I also dwell." Numbers 35:33-34
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you; the birds of the air, and they will tell you; ask the plants of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of every human being." Job 12:7-10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not sure about all the green stuff...but keep the paid-for SUV!!! fo sho!