Saturday, September 5, 2009

Exercise and Spirituality






Well today I did something I thought I would never do - entered and completed a 5K. Now, less anyone think I was like a swan flying over the earth - this was not pretty by any one's standard. There was a bit of bribery here because if you entered the event and completed the race you were awarded 30 points for your team in the Quest 12 Challenge. Krista and John knew and know a bit how this peer-pressure works and use it especially in situations that would never be considered (i.e. a 5K "Goat Gallup" run early on a holiday weekend in Brady, Texas!) One should see the varying outfits people will done in public at the races. Very short 1980's-styled shorts were normal and one fella had a shirt obviously too small that came just above his belly-button (and don't forget the low-rider short-shorts) which was just uncomfortable and I desperately wanted to encouraged the "pull down your shirt please" thoughts in my head. Dylon was also running with me and we were in total agreement on this issue. I was anxious (probably and understatement) as thoughts ran through my head, you know; "what are other people going to be thinking with such an out-of-shape guy in this race," "this green shirt really does not highlight the good-points of my figure, " "what if I am the last one across the finish line," "how many people will it take to lift me up into the ambulance," and so on...... We stretched as a group (a comic-moment all by itself) and walked to the starting point. The gun fired and we were off----------20 seconds later I said "the running-trotting or galloping will have to cease" and I began to walk in a brisk pace just as if I were entering Wal*Mart and desperately wanted to get out as quickly as possible. The 20 minutes of running or (you get the drift) put my breathing into a asthmatic-sounding gasping for air. This too subsided as people jogged by me and continued their trek to stardom. There were about 10 of us in the "back-pack" group. I chose to keep that brisk Wal*Mart stride up while most others chose to jog a little the walk. One of the most painful components of this trip were my man-breast (sorry if that offends anyone) and my need for the Seinfeld-"Bro". Enough said about that! The highlight of the entire day was when I saw Dylon (just after I passed the 3K marker) walking back to me after he had already completed the race. Our little posse yelled: "Eric look - manchild (a reference name I use for Dylon on Facebook) is coming to walk with you!" This was such a proud daddy-moment for me. As we passed through the local neighborhood's of Brady, Texas people had chosen to get their favorite lawn chair, sit outside on the cool damp Saturday morning and watch people run in the Goat Gallup. Here I was almost at the end and knowing I could make it just when was I going to hit the "jog" again and finish big??? Dylon, by my side said "start it whenever you are ready dad" and there I went. Going past the finish line, hearing them scream out my time (which I swore was 70 minutes) I honesty thought that I would collapse on the pavement in front of Brady High School's Bulldog football stadium (memories of marching contest from the early 80's again) and need that ambulance. Alas, it was only hugs and cheers and congratulations everyone for accomplishing such a task.

Now I know there this has gone on long enough - but give me a moment here. Here are some thoughts that I am taking away from this event:
  • To challenge yourself to get healthy is not just a physical event - it is also spiritual.
  • I honestly believe that God provides some people with the spiritual gift of "encouragement" (no doctrinal post on this please) and within our group Krista, John and Jill (Underwood) have this gift among others.
  • Your mind goes many places during events of this nature and mine went to my spiritual life and my wife Jill.
  • All of my kids are wonderful - today my youngest manchild manifested that "wonderfulness" in sharing that crossing with me. A true blessing!

This journey is needed and possible for me - I'm so glad I have determined to do it!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This made me cry for so many reasons... all good.

I love you, Eric!

Anonymous said...

Yeeeehaw! Wish I'd been there to cheer you too! That sounds like a stellar moment in Evans history! Whoooo!

Anonymous said...

PS: it's so sweet to think of you thinking of your sweet wife when you think you're going to die. Is that morbid to say?