Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finding the Humor!

Yes it has been awhile - now that we are past that, here it is!

My days over the past 6-7 months have been all over the place. At church one of our Pastor's was led to another ministry and I found myself as the last full-time fella in the place. Then change just became a bit rampant with transitions taking place on an almost weekly basis. Compounding the stress of finding people and their anxiousness over varying thoughts on what is "true" biblical interpretation. Then budget preparations in an economy that is stressed at best layered on top of our last child leaving the little nest and then our 7th performing season at the Lyric has found my ability to multi-task seriously challenged. I will be the first to admit I have not handled this challenge very well. Often late on needed task, many tasks handled and completed in less-than-quality fashion and just simply making some bad decisions.

Well then I found myself with two relatively close associations of people choosing to take their own life, people ravaged and passing from cancer people hurting from the loss of a family member and this seems to have been my life and ministry for just about 6 months. In this week alone I have seen three deaths one of which was my principal from elementary school and seriously - 5 deaths in the last two months. I have even been taking almost 11 days to make a play on Words With Friends and I can not even remember the last time I was at the gym exercising.

Now for the day and the topic of this post. I so love scripture and it's ability to speak truth and confer a sense of peace to believers. Today's reading was from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." As I was trying feverishly today to do some "catching up" I found myself penning some words to a friend that just discovered cancer in her uterus. In my attempts to spell "uterine" (which I am still sure is an actual English word) my spelling kept making me change the word to "Lutheran." Now, I don't know about you but to me that is funny!

As I have re-read this blog it so sounds like a "woe-is-me" post, but that really is not my intent. Everyone has seasons to struggles. These "seasons" look different from person to person and just wanting to get to the next week can be stressful in and of itself. Find the love Paul was referencing. Stop looking over the septic tank to the other side. Pick the daisies and don't just stare at them. And, for Pete's sake (whomever he is) don't watch the weather and happenings in the Gulf.

Next week our family will attempt to take what will more-than-likely be our last family vacation together. Kids are out of the house, Erica is engaged to be married to a great guy this coming January and I am determined to build our house in which I expect to be our last. I'm hoping that we can take a Night-time Segway tour of Haunted Churches, Houses, Old Buildings of downtown San Antonio. (Doesn't that just sound like fun!?!) My prayer today is that I can apply the words the Apostle Paul penned to the church at Corinth - Peace!

Oh, I am so in this particular song!

No comments: