Friday, August 6, 2010

Home Alone

It's Friday night in Central Texas and at 7:52 p.m. it is still 81 degrees with enough humidity for it to feel like 88. This after the high today had to be over 100. Jill is out of town tonight on work related stuff and being the empty-nesters that we are - here I am, home alone. Television viewing is pretty thin in the early days of August on a Friday night. I have reviewed all of my Facebook friends status updates, paid all the bills, read the online version of USA Today and the New York Times (at least looked at the pictures), actually cleaned the guest bathroom, ran the vacuum, texted some good friends that are fighting a battle with cancer (and winning at this point), played with the dog a bit, made some fresh-brewed iced tea, checked the email multiple times and pondered some of life's mysteries.

Today in an email to our church family and friends I encouraged them to read John chapter 5 in anticipation of the Sunday AM worship service at church. I have looked through, heard preached, and debated this passage many times over the past 25 years of my professional, ministerial life but tonight it is having some freshness to me. I have now encouraged my FB friends to provide some feedback and now you. Do you have some thoughts here?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thus says The Lord: The light has gone out of the churches of men! Therefore I, even I, have removed all candlesticks from their places, and shall not return them again until the time is fulfilled, when all these men in authority humble themselves and seek MY face and MY glory... And turn from the glory of men.

trumpetcallofgodonline