Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Success At Communication


On the last day of the conference in Chicago we had the opportunity to hear Dr. Richard Allen Farmer speak. I feel like it would take me days to write only his "high points" within a list of accomplishments so I will give you a couple, maybe three and have you Google his name if you would like more. He is a pianist (accomplished, I heard for myself), a twin and a teacher of teachers/communicators. During the conference I had the privilege of attending one of his break-out session on "Putting the Pieces Together" which was simply two hours of frantic note-taking from me on great ways to creatively get a "thought" across to one's audience. Here are some bullets from his message on the last day of the conference as he was speaking to 3,500+ mostly creative artists within church ministries from across the country.


  • Refuse to narrowly define yourself

  • Constantly welcome diversity in you life

  • Work hard at being able to communicate what is in your heart

  • Know when not to take "no" for an answer

  • Don't be afraid to live in the cloud of the sweet mystery of art and love

This man knows how to communicate - what a treat it was to hear and learn from him.

2 comments:

J. Mark Miller said...

I've had Dr. Farmer in at every place of ministry, and I've never been disappointed.

He is by far my favorite "traveling musician." No one else I've ever heard even comes close. I'm glad you got exposed to him.

Lisa said...

Do they sell the conference sessions on cd or dvd? Do you have to be in the Willow Creek Assn. to get them?