Monday, September 15, 2008

Growing-Spiritually

Donna Posey has a most interesting post from last Thursday (that I just now read.) Over the past couple of weeks it seems as though I have just been in a "funk" in regards to spiritual stuff happening in my life. I certainly have a desire for something spiritual and actually even long for it but, there is just something that I can not put my finger on. I guess Donna's post has got me thinking along with another friend of mine John Henson. John seems to be in a place that really deals with the "living our life" indulging in spiritual actions stuff. Rick Davis also has an approach that I often find my self looking at and (though it almost always takes me multiple reads) getting some good stuff. But all of that to say this: Yesterday during our worship we sang a song entitled "You Are" by Mark Roach.
I had a comment from one in the service that "Morning Star" (referenced in the song) was a common name for Satan (found in Isaiah.) I giggled, then looked up the Revelation reference 22:16 - and had a little text-message conversation with him about the song and the "morning star" lyrics. WOW finally challenging myself on something spiritual and it is this?
Growing Spiritually - I just don't believe that we can simply give a common phrase or saying to bring some one out of this state of being or lack there of. Moving forward in our spiritual life has to be a choice-process-intentional to see growth and significance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Yesterday I had this very song rehearsed and ready to do as my special. By Sunday AM I really wasn't feeling the song, though I loved it when we did it at your church a few months ago. I ended up singing something different. I think it's a simple song though that just reminds us who Jesus is to us. Nothing sinister there, I'm pretty sure.

Anonymous said...

I just re-read your last statement. I think Eric, that we do grow (even move forward) in these times when we're feeling funky, questioning old patterns, etc. I can't stand the idea that this might sound cliche but the life of faith has to mean for us that God is present always, even when aren't "feeling Him" and He may even be working something interesting into our thinking or changing us in ways that will surprise us. I love your heart and thank you for sharing with so much honesty.