Saturday, May 3, 2008

Life Makes an Impact

I am sure you have noticed that "waxing eloquently" is not a particular trait of mine. But there have been people in my past that have this particular distinction. Dr. Michael Schepis is one of those individuals. I did not meet him until I was well into my 20's - but, he was the pastor my wife knew best as a young child growing up in Wichita, Kansas. He was vertically challenged (short) and could sing a song entitled "Ship, Ahoy" with an amazing amount of passion. So much so that in even in VERY conservative and often pinned-up Baptist churches people would clap and stand upon its completion - and this "standing and clapping" was not for the great performance but for the message it contained. He had a great deal of humility that was so obvious it seeped from his pours. He was not a perfect man (as his humility attested to often) and he was not dynamic as we might know preachers. But, he was an authentic minister of the Gospel. Dr Schepis passed away this week. Happenings of this nature sure can make one reflect upon their life - especially the "what kind of impact am I making" kind of reflection.
I don't think it is healthy to fret about leaving a legacy and trying to busy oneself and tell everyone how they should live. I do think it is healthy to live a life of authenticity, being real to yourself and real to God. I certainly have a ways to go - I am glad to have known Dr. Schepis and so many people that he impacted. He will be missed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did memorialize Dr. Schepis eloquently. I am inspired by him and have never met him. God bless him in the happy place he now calls home.

Lisa said...

I love that man.