Thursday, May 15, 2008

Up Early Again

Dylon, our youngest and most articulate child had Jazz Band rehearsal at 7:00 AM this morning which provides me with some real alone time at the office. Though it is not abnormal for me to stay up late at my ripe age of 45 it certainly is not the "normal" especially after a Wednesday, my typically busiest day of the week. Last night I just had to see if the two David's made the last round of American Idol. Surprise!?! Today, I've used this early morning time to read through the 10+ Blogs I look at on a regular basis. I love reading others thoughts, especially when they have taken the time to think through the process of putting something out there for the world to peruse. Here is what I have seen today:


  • Ode To Forty-Something http://donkathink.blogspot.com/ Donna has a real sense of purpose in her blogging - something insightful and well written.

  • Prayer - Whom Does It Potentially Change - I'll not provide the link here but it is from a Worship Leader Blog. Someone has made a statement and then allows some thought - then discourse. Here is the thought: A speaker at a Friday evening event at our church building made a statement I’ve heard several times before but have never really agreed with: “Prayer does not change God, it changes us.” Now, since God is immutable, this statement is technically correct. However, its implication (as I interpret it) is that prayer is simply a tool God uses to teach us and to grow us; it is not an avenue of communication that actually touches His heart and moves Him to respond to us. Now there is something to think about!

  • Put Sensual Needs in Their Place-Acts 2:41f http://aintsobad.typepad.com/aintsobad/2008/05/put-sensual-nee.html This blog is from Dr. Rick Davis - a local pastor here in Brownwood who's blog is read by literally thousands. I will admit I have to read his blogs slower and a little more deliberately but he does have some very interesting thoughts.

  • Missional or Not http://wonderingthoughts.typepad.com/my_weblog/ This blog is from John Henson - a former pastor in our community now a Pastor of Emergent ministries at FBC Shreveport. He is always posing questions and thoughts on how we as Christians, specifically within our church community can be on task in our spiritual walk. He provides a link to an article where a church in Georgia is raffling off (no money needed) two $500 gas cards to church attenders. Something to think about!

  • http://tipitee.blogspot.com/2008/05/playing-catch-up.html - Lisa, a worship leader, cousin-in-law and friend. I love just keeping up with her and when she is so inclined gleaning some wonderful spiritual insights.

  • http://www.consumingworship.org/ This last link is for the guy that is probably most responsible for my current blogging habit. A friend from my early years in ministry in the west Texas town of Sweetwater. He is the Worship Pastor at a church just outside of Denton in Aubrey. Today he listed all the new contemporary songs that he has introduced to his congregation. For me this was a very interesting read and inspirational for me today.

I'll leave you with a picture of Dylon. Though I might sound like I am complaining about having to get up early to take him to school. But, this too shall pass and I know I am going to miss those 25 minute drives into town (15 min if we are running late.) Kids grow up, head to college and well...you get the gist!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahhhh... I am humbled to make your list. You too are on mine - and not just b/c I miss you so much. :o)

Unknown said...

Eric,

Can I add you to my blog roll over at aintsobad? I never do so without permission.

Eric Evans said...

Rick - I would be honored to be in you company!

J. Mark Miller said...

"the guy that is probably most responsible for my current blogging habit"

Not exactly an even trade, since you're the guy that is probably most responsible for me being in the ministry as a worship guy.

I guess it's a start, however...;)

Eric Evans said...

Me thinks Jeff thinks too much of that two years in Sweetwater. But you are very kind.