Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thinking Out Loud Here

I was reading a blog from my friend Jeff at consumingworship.com (link to the right here) and he has articulated some thoughts I have struggled with for years. Why is it so easy for us to point out the "faults" we find in others. At times it just becomes second nature to some people to begin railing, dissecting and literally condemning individuals/groups/segments/etc. etc...... In my devotion time this morning there was a quote from an unknown source: "The gospel is like a lion. It doesn't need to be protected, it needs to be turned loose." - What does this mean, at what level can we apply this thought?



Having discovered Facebook - (my daughter has accused me now of cyber-stalking) and am finding friends from long ago, reconnecting in ways I would never have dreamed. But, at the same time is has taking me back to a period of my life when I discerned scripture and spirituality different than today. This has to be expected in a growing, maturing Christian walk - but still the revisit can really make one think!

My schedule is full - I either have to buckle down and git-er-done or throw up the hands. I'll try the buckle-down thing first. I'll let you know how this works out!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I was just thinking many of these same thoughts. Last night I read Romans 14-15 which basically says why do you care how someone else serves their Master... it's between them and God. It goes on to conclude that we ought to be concerned with our own relationship with God - whether or not our own spirit is at peace with our service.

I think for most of my religious experience I was concerned what this group or that denomination had right or wrong. I just want to get my life right and let God sort everyone else out. He's big enough to be served in more than MY OWN way. Not saying that salvation comes in any other way, but the things that matter so little that we've made to matter a LOT are not for me to judge.

This is me jumping down off my soapbox.

Paul said...

Hey! For some reason, the comment you left on my blog didn't get forwarded to my e-mail, so I just read it today. Thanks for sharing this blog with me!! I'll look forward to frequent visits to your site.